We set stringent requirements on ourselves in terms of quality and environmental issues. Our entire production chain has been ISO-certified regarding quality and environmental management since 1997.
Glass manufacture affects the environment in several ways: heating the furnaces is an energy-intensive operation and, historically, many substances have been used that are harmful to the environment and health, such as lead and arsenic.
We now make glass without these substances and we require far less energy to run our facilities.
Environmental work for decades
We have conducted active environmental work ever since environmental awareness emerged in the 1970s. We work at and near the glassworks and live in the surrounding area; it is important for us to be able to live and work in a healthy environment.
on the right path
Environmental work is never fully complete. We have been awarded the following distinctions, which we see as signs that we are on the right path and are working in the right way:
- 1997 Orrefors Kosta Boda was awarded a prize for the best industrial environmental work in the class Environmentally Adapted Product Development.
- 2002 Orrefors Kosta Boda received an honorary mention by the Swedish Energy Agency for achievements such as reduced energy consumption.
- 2007 Orrefors Kosta Boda received Kronoberg County’s Luftvårdspris award for reducing emissions.
- 2009 Orrefors Kosta Boda AB received an order for drinkware to the US Department of State and its embassies around the world. Our extensive environmental work and lead-free glass were strong reasons why the department chose us.
Our achievements over the years
A selection of the environmental measures that we have taken, both large and small:
- Waste heat from the glassworks in Kosta is delivered to the community’s district heating network in Kosta.
- We now recycle most of the flue-gas dust that is collected in our flue-gas filters.
- In 2007 and 2008 we replaced about 700 m3 of heating oil with biofuel-based district heating in Kosta and Orrefors, which means a 1700 tonne reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
Would you like more information about our environmental work? Please contact Marita Jansson, our quality and environmental manager, by phone +46 481 341 51 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.